Skip to main content

Making an Acoustic Levitator- The Build

Oh!! Back for more nerdy stuff????
So, in my previous post I explained how to levitate a particle using sound or "Acoustics" ,because it sounds way cooler..... Now while my explanation was really basic you now know the foundation of the workings of this device..(kinda..) ......
😝😝😝😝😝😝😝😝😝😝
Let me get to the point where I explain how I built it......
This is the basic block diagram of my levitator.....

TRANSDUCERS:
A transducer is just a fancy word for speakers and I admit it sounds really nerdy so I'll use that....
For transducers I needed ultrasonic transducers (so we don't hear the sound) and the best source for that were these ultrasonic distance sensors.
These, firstly, are really easy to get hold of. Secondly, are very cheap (about Rs.80 a piece), so I bought 10 of these.
Now, as in the image there are 2 metal cylindrical thingys that look like Wall-E's eyes.... under each eye there are labels 'T' and 'R'. 'T' is for transmitter and we need that....so I desoldered the transmitter from each of the sensors and marked the polarity of each transducer using an oscilloscope.

My idea was to use multiple transducers in an array to increase the strength of my levitator. But, before that let me explain the array arrangement.
There are various configurations in which we can arrange multiple transducers.
The first way is to place them onto a concave surface and focus the waves at the same point.
While this idea is really great and quite common among many other hobbyists making a similar levitator. I personally couldn't do it simply because I couldn't build the concave surfaces. Such stuff requires expertise in CAD which isn't a part of my skill sets as of now. Secondly, it requires a 3D printer, which I don't have. So I had to take a different approach.


Instead of a concave surface I went with a flat surface and reversed the polarity of the central transducer. so I achieve similar results.
pretty neat huh????....
And here is a simulation of my arrangement I found online. someday I'll learn to make simulations too....
So, now that the design was clear I went ahead and soldered each transducer to a "Proto-Board" or "Perf-Board" or "Zero-PCB" what ever you want to call it...Made sure I got the polarity right and I also added a small female connector to connect hookup wire later. Came out pretty neat I guess.

SIGNAL SOURCE:
As also done by others I too went with a 40kHz square wave generated using an Arduino UNO. After trying and failing many times I decided to use the code of another levitator project online called "TinyLev" by Asier Marzo Perez on Instructables.

POWER AMPLIFIER:
To drive the two transducer arrays I went with this 298N driver.
I used some aluminium 'C' channels and pieces of plywood to make this simple stand to hold the transducer arrays. the top piece can slide around to change the distance between the two arrays.
Also I decided to hold the arrays with just a couple rubber bands, nothing really fancy.
I followed this circuit to make my connections.
For the 12V DC supply I went with a really cheap SMPS unit.
The code has provisions to control the phase of the arrays in order to move the floating particle (Styrofoam ball in this case) UP or DOWN along the vertical axis using 3 momentary switches.

 


So, I guess that rounds up the project!!! Stay tuned for more!!!
Got any queries??? 
E-Mail me at: shashwath.sundar@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DESIGNING A RELAY COMPUTER: Relays

In the previous posts I highlighted the various concepts that are fundamental to designing a computer. Now I think its time to mention the ways of practically applying these concepts to design a computer. The first thing I should highlight is that I will not be using transistors, I'll be using relays. This is due to the fact that its easier to understand how a relay works than to understand how a transistor works. Also, this seems to be the easiest way to understand how computers actually work since we are using mechanical switches instead of solid state switches (transistors). What is a Relay?? Relays are basically electrically controlled switches. Inside a relay is an electromagnet. when the electromagnet is powered, it attracts a metal strip that in turn operates a switch. Most widely available relays are SPDT relays or Single Pole Double Throw relays. In these relays the switch has 3 terminals- Common terminal , NO i.e. normally open terminal and NC i.e. normally ...

Making a URISC Processor: The Idea

So a while back I saw this video on Youtube by "Gary Explains" talking about a "One Instruction Set Computer". For those who do not know, a computer processor does a fixed set of things or follows a fixed set of instructions. Usually modern processors have hundreds of instructions. In the OISC or URISC (Ultimate Reduced Instruction Set Computer) processor the idea is to have one universal instruction that the processor executes that allows the programmer to write any program. The first time I heard of this idea I fell off my chair with excitement (Literally). My mind was really blown by the fact that you could write any program with just one instruction. So after going through what "Gary" on Youtube had to offer... I sat down and tried to come up with a design of this hypothetical processor that executes only one instruction. In the video Gary talked about a processor that executed an instruction called 'SUBLEQ' which simply means, SUB tract and th...

Making an Acoustic Levitator - Introduction

About a year ago I came across this video talking about the concept of acoustic levitation and the fact that you can use sound to move objects in mid air. While I was really intrigued I also felt that having such a setup at home would either be really tough to build or would be really expensive. Soon after, I came across a video about a team of electronics and computer science engineers at Bristol University who actually came up with a method to make these levitators really cheap and were even selling and promoting kits to school students to do the same. This made me confident that I might be able to pull it off too.... 😝😝😝😝😝😝😝😝😝 Being an engineering student I was told to make a project under something called a "Non-Teaching Credit Course". So I chose this as my project for submission. SO HOW THE HELL DOES ACOUSTIC LEVITATION WORK??? A short answer of this question could be "Standing Waves", but that doesn't really explain anything, so let me t...